I read the below referenced recipe and the one it linked to and decided to follow the original recipe which said to peel and boil the beets though I usually prefer roasted beets like the linked recipe suggests I was just pressed for time! I used an organic “tuscan” sausage that is both sweet yet hot at the same time, a lovely combination!!! used regular red beets and their greens. I stirred in an entire 4oz log of goat cheese and it was perfect!
pasta with beets, beet greens, sausage and goat cheese adapted from the ABC food journal
also Adapted from Epicurious
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large onions, halved lengthwise through root end, sliced crosswise (about 4 cups) (I only used 1 onion but it was large)
2 Italian sausages, casings removed (I used 5)
3 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3 garlic scapes)
2 golden beets separated from fresh healthy greens (I used 4 red beets)
12 ounces short shaped pasta (I used 17 oz organic penne)
4 oz goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beets in foil and roast for 60-90 minutes until tender. (I skinned and diced the beets and boiled for 10+ minutes until tender)
2. Add 2 tablespoons oil and sliced onions to a skillet. Saute until tender and browned, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Move onions to the side, and make room for Italian sausages in the center.Cook until the sausages brown.Add the minced garlic (scapes). Add the remaining 2 tbsp oil and beet greens. Cook until wilted. (I just did this all together adding the greens after draining the almost cooked sausage, I had added in the boiled beets early on as well)
3. While the onions are cooking, prepare boiling water for pasta. Follow package instructions for preparing pasta. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.
4. Peel the roasted beets and slice into thin wedges.
5. Add beets, pasta, goat cheese and reserved pasta water to the skillet. Mix ingredients thoroughly and season with fresh ground black pepper.