YUM! this was SO easy to make and tastes so amazing. I found so many recipes that were all basically the same. The one I liked the most was this one from Oh She Glows because she had awesome pictures! I used her recipe but didn’t include all the ingredients she used. Just the 2 Medjool dates and 1/2 tsp of my homemade vanilla extract. Be sure to check it out, especially the links at the end that mention safe almonds to buy. I used raw almonds from Trader Joes. I bought this nut milk bag from amazon. Unfortunately it tore in 3 different places along the seam while I was using it. I wasn’t even squeezing it hard. Piece of crap. I am returning it and hope to buy a better one.
Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk from Oh She Glows
Yield: 3.5 cups
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water
- 3.5 cups filtered water
- 2-4 pitted Medjool dates*, to taste (I used 2 large)
- 1 whole vanilla bean*, chopped (or 1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- small pinch of fine grain sea salt, to enhance the flavour
1. Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water. It’s preferred to soak them overnight (for 8-12 hours) in the water, but you can get away with soaking for 1-2 hours in a pinch.
2. Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with filtered water, pitted dates, and chopped vanilla bean.
3. Blend on highest speed for 1 minute or so.
4. Place a nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk. This took me about 3-5 minutes to get all the milk out.
5. Rinse out blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and pinch of sea salt and blend on low to combine.
6. Pour into a glass jar to store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Shake jar very well before using as the mixture separates when sitting.