We LOVE Indian food!!!!! I try to make what I call fake Indian at home. It is never nearly as good but it is good in it’s own right but it in no way replaces or substitutes real Indian food. I found countless recipes for Raita but in the end decided to combine the ingredients/ideas of two recipes I found and liked. So this is what I came up with based on the raita recipe at the perfect pantry and the cucumber mint raita recipe over at simply recipes.
- two medium cucumbers grated
- 2 cups plain organic non fat yogurt (I LOVE Trader Joes)
- 10 large mint leaves, thinly sliced (To slice the mint leaves, “chiffonade” them by stacking them on top of each other, rolling them up like a cigar, and taking thin slices off the end.)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch each of: nutmeg, cinnamon and cayenne
- Fresh black pepper
In a small salad spinner, sprinkle the grated cucumber with 1-2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and toss gently. let sit for 30 minutes. spin. Then, rinse the cucumber in cold water to remove the excess salt. spin again a lot!
Spread paper towels on your counter, and overturn the colander on top of it. Pull up the ends and squeeze around the cucumber, squeeze as hard as you can to extract every bit of liquid.
Stir spices and mint into yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir in the grated cucumber. Chill until ready to serve.