this was in the Jan 2012 edition of Real Simple magazine. recipe can also be found online here. I skipped the cucumber salad topping. I love garam masala. Such a yummy smelling mix of spices. Tastes so delicious. We are huge Indian food addicts.
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice blend)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice.