made this today. I cut the eggplant lengthwise rather than circles. zucchini too!
I doubled the recipe below but still didn’t have enough to coat one eggplant and 2 zucchini’s, so I then just made up a little more without measuring. Chris really liked the eggplant. the zucchini didn’t absorb the liquid so much or taste as flavorful as the eggplant did. we ate it over white basmati rice. going to use the leftovers tomorrow night in panini! that is going to be great!!!! I didn’t have the aleppo chili and skipped it. the recipe creator said “is available in Middle Eastern markets. It’s not spicy at all, but sweet and musky. If you don’t have it, substitute it with a pinch of Spanish smoked paprika, or skip it all together”. I need to get that spice as it sounds amazing!!!
Honey Garlic Grilled Eggplant from Beyond Salmon
1 eggplant (2 if using small Italian eggplants)
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 mashed garlic cloves
1 tsp aleppo chili (optional)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Peel stripes of skin off the eggplant to create a zebra like pattern of skin and no-skin. This is not only decorative, but makes the skin easier to bite. Slice eggplant into ½ inch thick circles.
- Lay out a large sheet of paper towels. Sprinkle eggplant generously with salt on both sides and lay out on paper towels. The eggplant will release a lot of liquid. This will help get rid of bitterness (if any) and make the eggplant more succulent and less watery after it’s cooked. Let sit for 15 minutes, then dry both sides well with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix honey, olive oil, garlic, chili, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Dunk both sides of each eggplant slice into this marinade.
- Preheat the grill to high. Grab a wad of paper towel with tongs, dip it in oil, and brush it on the grill.
- Place the eggplant slices on the grill, cover, and turn down the heat to medium. Grill until marked, about 3 minutes. Turn 90 degrees to make cross-hatch grill marks. Grill until marked, about 3 more minutes.
- Brush the slices with remaining marinade, flip and repeat the grilling procedure on the other side. Regulate heat so that the eggplant is browning, but not burning. Remove to a plate, and drizzle with olive oil.