made this tonight! it was really good. I cut the whole recipe in half since it’s just us! It felt like it needed something else, but I’m not sure what! I used 3 shady brook farms sweet Italian sausages (there was no hot!)
Acorn Squash with Sweet Spicy Sausage from allrecipes.com
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds spicy turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the squash halves face-down in a baking dish in 1 inch of water and bake until flesh is tender, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook the sausage in the oil until brown, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks; set aside.
- Once the squash halves are tender, discard the water. Generously sprinkle brown sugar into the cavity of each squash half, reserving about 1/4 cup for later use. Fill the squash halves with the browned sausage, and top with the reserved brown sugar. Return squash to the baking dish and bake until the sugar begins to melt, about 15 minutes.