I think I used the butter lettuce? I am still not sure. we got a green oak leaf lettuce and a butter lettuce this week. not sure which is which. I used the curlier one in the waldorf salad below. I changed a bunch of things. didn’t season the chicken, just grilled it. goat cheese instead of gorgonzola. no celery. made a goat cheese dressing for it. didn’t candy the walnuts, just had them plain. didn’t really measure out anything either. just went with what I had. this salad was good! nice mix of sweet!!! I love fruity summer salad!
recipe copied from the nest, with different ways to season chicken, I just had it plain on the grill.
• 1 pound baby field greens
• 2 large or 3 small tart green apples (Granny Smith or Pippin), cored and thinly sliced
• 3 ribs celery, sliced diagonally (omitted)
• 1 pound red seedless grapes, halved
• 1/2 pound crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (goat cheese instead)
• 4 Grilled Garlic Chicken breasts (see below), cut into 1/2-inch strips (think I only had 2 chicken breasts)
• 2 cups Candied Walnuts (see below) (just regular walnuts, and just a sprinkleof them, 2 cups is A LOT!)
• 1/2 to 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing (made goat cheese dressing, later down in post)
Toss all the ingredients with the dressing of your choice in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Divide among 4 chilled serving plates and serve immediately
Grilled Chicken for Salads, Pizzas, and Panini
by simply changing the seasoning, you can use this method to grill chicken breasts for any of our dishes.
• 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For Grilled Garlic Chicken:
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
For Grilled Greek Chicken:
• 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup Greek spice blend
For Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken:
• 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning blend • 1 1/2 teaspoonsCayenne pepper (optional)
Place the chicken breasts between sheets of waxed or parchment paper, and gently pound to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Do not pound them too thin; this is just to ensure that they will cook evenly.
Combine the olive oil and seasonings in a large mixing bowl. Stir to mix. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl, one by one, turning each in the marinade. Place the chicken in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes.
If you have a hot grill available, grill the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. If no grill is available, preheat the oven to 350° F and bake the chicken, skin side up in a pan, for about 30 minutes. The internal temperature should be 165° F.
Use the chicken immediately, as desired; or let it cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Makes about 3 cups
Candied Walnuts will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature. Do not refrigerate, as the moisture from your refrigerator will melt the caramel.
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 6 tablespoons sugar
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
• 2 1/2 cups walnut halves and pieces (about 12 ounces)
• Pinch Kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
Combine the honey, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and the butter in a large nonstick frying pan and heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to boil. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it is syrupy and light beige in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Add the walnuts to the syrup and stir to coat them completely. Transfer the nuts to the cookie sheet and spread them evenly. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, turning the pan once. They should be a deep caramel color.
Carefully remove the walnuts to a mixing bowl, scraping any bits that stick to the pan with a metal spatula. Sprinkle the nuts with the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and the salt. Toss to coat evenly. Allow the nuts to cool completely before storing.
goat cheese dressing from elly says opa
I doubled the recipe below. it was tasty! will be having more of it for lunch tomorrow!
1 oz. softened goat cheese
2 Tbsp. lowfat buttermilk (I just used skim milk mixed with lemon juice)
3 Tbsp. fat free Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar (I used red, I didn’t have white, wasn’t enough to turn it red or even pink, the dressing was still white)
1 tsp. lemon juice
seal salt & freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients with a fork, breaking up the goat cheese to mix it in.